Friday, January 22, 2010

Haiti

Do you not question why a mother in Africa who loves and serves God is weeping over her dying child just like the mother next to her who rejects a loving God?
I guess I am a questioner and I believe it is okay with God to ask, why?
I challenged him when I lost my son. As I stood beside his dying body there in the hospital I said to God, “Is everything true that I have always believed? It had better be because otherwise this just doesn’t make any sense.”
Because He is God I chose to believe and accept even though I didn’t understand and I also knew I wouldn’t get through this without Him. He had proven himself worthy of trust in the past and he would be there in my future.
Do you think that is the way it is with those in Haiti who come out from under the rubble praising Jesus because they have been saved?
I have been interested in the comments of the world as they watch these scenes. Anderson Cooper of CNN reported to Larry King that one of the Haitian pastors had preached on the Sunday following the quake that Haiti was being punished for its voodoo worship and they needed to repent. When Larry questioned that teaching, Anderson said that a lot of the people seemed to believe that was true. Larry made a sneering come back about all the little children who lost their lives who had nothing to do with the sins of the nation.
First off let me say I do not support someone like Pat Robertson. We are not to judge and we are not God. In the Bible when someone asked Jesus why (they dared question then too) the man had been born blind Jesus said, “neither this man nor his parents sinned … this has happened that the work of God might be displayed in his life.” Jn. 9 Wow!! Is that fair?
I have always questioned the fairness of corporate punishment for the sins of leaders. If you read through the Bible you will see many many cases where whole nations, whole churches even whole families suffered because of the decisions of one person (Moses, David, Samson, new testament churches) and then of course we have the terrible troubles of Job who was a pawn in a sense between God and the devil.
It began right in the beginning. Adam sinned and condemnation fell on the whole human race!! Is that fair?
Can you think of leaders in our world who have done great injustices and sins which has caused huge suffering on their people?
It makes me see how important good and Godly leadership is and that leadership can be as kings, presidents, prime ministers, preachers, teachers and parents. What a huge responsibility we have as leaders in whatever area of our lives we are giving leadership.
I feel like I am preaching a sermon so I will quit but before I do I must proclaim that “Just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, So also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.
For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.!!”

1 comment:

  1. Interesting food for thought. Am sure there are many Haitians (and others around the world) asking "Why?". Even as we ask the question, we as Christians don't need to make sense of it, but to trust that God knows what He's doing.

    ~ Rebekah

    ReplyDelete